You are here
Home > History

The Seminole Tribune is the official newspaper of the Seminole Tribe of Florida. Published monthly, with a circulation of more than 4,000, the paper is distributed throughout the U.S. and Indian Country.

The paper, first called Seminole News, began in 1956 by the late former Chairwoman Betty Mae Tiger-Jumper and Alice Osceola, but after three months, other people took over the paper before dropping the project.

In 1979 at the request of Chairman James E. Billie, the Alligator Times replaced the Seminole News and was run by Tiger-Jumper, Barbara Doctor and Twila Perkins, with Moses Jumper Jr. serving as editor. By 1982, Billie changed the name to The Seminole Tribune, and Tiger-Jumper took over the position of editor.

In 1989, the Seminole Tribune became the first Indian newspaper to win a Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award. The Tribune was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize that same year by the University of Florida. The paper also took home five awards by the Native American Journalists Association in 1997.

Top
Skip to toolbar