You are here
Home > Community (Page 2)

Oh, the places we go!

Part of what I enjoy about this job is the opportunities I get to work with the Seminole community. As the curator of exhibits, my role in the Museum is to tell the Seminole story through the exhibits. As someone who in not affiliated with any tribe, that means talking

FSU nursing summit honors work of Betty Mae Jumper

TALLAHASSEE — To cap off a two-day international indigenous health summit that convened indigenous, native and aboriginal nursing researchers from around the world, Florida State University’s new Center for Indigenous Nursing Research and Health Equity (INRHE) invited Moses Jumper Jr. to speak about his mother, Betty Mae Jumper, and her

SPD Sgt. Thomas Faherty retires after 25 years

IMMOKALEE — Sergeant Thomas “LT” Faherty’s retirement April 27 made him the first Seminole Police Department officer to retire after 25 years on the force. During a celebratory party May 9 in Immokalee, surrounded by colleagues, seniors and friends he made during his career, Faherty bid farewell and welcomed retirement. “I knew

Tribal Historic Preservation Office investigates the Josie Billie Camp

BIG CYPRESS — The Tribal Historic Preservation Office (THPO) recently completed an investigation of the historic Josie Billie Camp and its eligibility for the Tribal Register of Historic Places (TRHP). As development on the reservations grows, the THPO completes surveys as part of the On-Reservation Review Process to ensure culturally

Performance paints Seminole journey through modern art

FORT LAUDERDALE — Colorful Warrior Theatre’s mixed-media "Indian Car: Old Photo" – a combination of Seminole culture and modern art through music, painting, poetry and prose – brought in the new without throwing out the old on March 30 at History Museum Fort Lauderdale. The evening of diverse art, hosted by

May serves as awareness month for speech, hearing issues

HOLLYWOOD — May is known for the Kentucky Derby and Mother’s Day, but it’s also a month that calls attention to speech and hearing issues. To coincide with Better Hearing & Speech Month, as designated by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, the Children’s Center for Diagnostics and Therapy – which is under

Skip to toolbar