You are here
Home > Community (Page 2)

Cherokee Nation’s Bryan Rice named BIA director

WASHINGTON — U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke announced Oct. 16 the selection of Bryan Rice, a veteran federal administrator and citizen of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, as the new Director of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), the federal agency that coordinates government-to-government relations with 567 federally

Tribe shows appreciation for Irma workers

HOLLYWOOD — A disaster, no matter how devastating, tends to strengthen ties between people as they work together to overcome adversity. The Seminole Tribe’s employees came together valiantly before, during and after Hurricane Irma to help Tribal members get through the ordeal safely. Tribal leaders honored and thanked nearly 600 employees for

Pointing the way

Have you ever wondered how the Pointing Man signs came to be and why the likeness of Jack Tigertail became the “poster” image for more than his own Seminole community? The story is as much about Jack Tigertail’s presence as it is about a clever marketing ploy used to sell a

Donations continue to be accepted for Native Relief

Janice Osceola and her granddaughter recently donated items for the Native Relief Foundation. They brought toys, shoes, clothing and more to Tribal headquarters. All donated items will go to the South Dakota Sioux Tribes. Donations of items and money are still being accepted and can be made up until mid-December

Native American history from A-Z

My name is Randean Osceola and I am a part of the Seminole Tribe of Florida. I am a member of the Wind Clan family and am a freshman at Sagemont High School in Weston. This summer I decided to intern at the Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki Museum through the Tribe’s Summer Work

Tim Giago receives NAJA-Medill Milestone Achievement Award

Tim Giago, a game-changer in Indian Country journalism, never ceases to amaze members of the Native American Journalists Association. In commemoration of his numerous achievements, NAJA awarded him the 2017 NAJA-Medill Milestone Achievement Award, which includes a $5,000 cash prize, for his commitment to journalistic excellence and advancement in Indian

Dale Herring transforms Bowlegs Town into literary adventure

Real estate developer and businessman H. Dale Herring had no idea his new home was Bowlegs Town, a Seminole site packed with history. When he found the property — located next to the Suwanee River — about 18 years ago, Herring originally intended to develop the land. After spending time in

Fapleche Choobe (Big Wind)

It’s been a long couple of weeks here in South Florida and needless to say we are suffering from Hurricane fatigue. As I write this, please know that all of us here at the Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki Museum are thinking of the Tribal community all over Florida, its family and friends, and

Steven Lewis Simpson brings Native American story to life

Long gone are the days when films like “Pocahontas” represent the imagery of Native American culture. In a new film, “Neither Wolf Nor Dog,” filmmaker Steven Lewis Simpson effortlessly captures the heritage of the Lakota Nation. Based on the 1996 Kent Nerburn novel, “Neither Wolf Nor Dog” tells the story

Hard Rock Stadium unveils phase III upgrades

MIAMI GARDENS — The Miami Dolphins unveiled their latest phase of a $500-million plus renovation at Hard Rock Stadium on Aug. 8. Privately funded by Dolphins and stadium owner Stephen Ross, the phase III renovations include a new partnership with Aston Martin Residences, new food and beverage offerings, luxury and party

Skip to toolbar